Allah mentions to us in the Qur’an:
وَذَكِّرْ فَإِنَّ الذِّكْرَىٰ تَنفَعُ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ
And remind, for indeed, the reminder benefits the believers.
This is such a profound verse through which we learn many valuable lessons.
- Benefitting and taking heed of reminders is a characteristic of the believers as Ibn Kathir stated: “only the believing hearts find benefit in being reminded”
- When we’re reminded of anything pertaining to our deen, it’s critical for us to listen and internalize it in a positive manner because acting in a different manner is contrary to a believer’s character
- A reminder entails the recipient has already been made aware of a certain message. This means that even the knowledgeable and pious amongst us are prone to slip and thus it is completely normal for them to be in need of reminders as well
- Tanfa’oo comes from the root na-fa-‘aa which means to profit, to be beneficial or useful. Thus, reminders should be given with the intention to truly benefit others and not merely serve our own egos; and for reminders to bring that benefit, we need to understand the recipient and his/her circumstances, neccisitating the use of wisdom
- As was stated by Ibn Abbas radhiAllah anhu, the reminder that benefits is that which increases ones righteousness
- Reminders are intrinsically linked with giving sincere advice (naseeha), about which the Prophet sallalahu alayhi wasalam said: “The religion is sincere advice”. Meaning this task of giving reminders and advising one another plays a big role in our deen.
- Naseeha comes from the root word na-sa-ha which has a connotation of picking out dirt from pure honey. This is profound because it suggests to us that when we intend to give someone a sincere reminder/advice we should approach them as if they are pure as honey with just a little bit of dirt which you want to take out to ensure they are even more purer than before.
Be sure to comment below and share within your social circles if you found benefit in the article. Also, what lessons/gems can you extract from the above verse? Be sure to share with us 🙂